Please visit the links and support my friends and supporters!!!

Please visit the links and support my friends and supporters!!!

Monday, February 05, 2007

VOTE FOR ME VOTE FOR ME VOTE FOR ME VOTE FOR ME!!! Pretty please!

Hi, and thanks for stopping by! Vote for me? For what? Let me explain. Over the Christmas holidays I was surfing the best website in the NHL- www.edmontonoilers.com and I saw a contest they were taking entries for- "Celebrate Hockey Moments" Here's the gist from the Oilers website

"Celebrate Hockey with the Oilers. We want to see your hockey memories. From ages one to one hundred, show us all the on-ice action you’ve caught on video. Submit your video memories for the chance to see them online, at Oilers games and on Oilers telecasts and become the star of Oil Country. Find your hockey memory. Whether it's a hockey blooper, a great goal, or a great hockey moment you've captured on video, we want to see it! The sky is the limit, from basements, to backyard rinks to Rexall Place, we want to celebrate hockey memories."

This REALLY caught my attention. The prize is certainly nice, a 42" TV if I remember correctly. However, I didn't enter this contest to win the TV. Yes, I will be honest, I entered to "become the star of Oil Country"

I have long been honest about my goals in broadcasting- to make it to the next level. I read about this contest and it hit me like a jolt of electricity. "Why not enter a video of some great Bulldog moments with me doing the play-by-play?"

I don't care if I win the TV, I just want my name and my abilities noticed. If even one Oiler fan, or one member of the Oilers staff looks at my video and says "this guy is not bad" then I have gotten somewhere. I've heard it a thousand times- "you're the best play-by-play guy I've heard" "listening to you do a game is like listening to the NHL" or my personal favorite "you are the next Jim Robson" That one is especially interesting because Jim Robson, the former voice of the Canucks got his start here in Port Alberni where I work now, CJAV radio. I can't say how much I appreciate it when I hear comments like this. It motivates me and stokes the fire within to keep working hard, to keep pushing to get better. For the fans, the parents, the players, and LASTLY for myself. I don't let comments like this go to my head. I don't even agree with them. But I sure do appreciate them and it really tells me that I am on the right path and I am doing what I should be doing. No, I'm not in the NHL. I'm in junior A hockey. But I'm working hard to advance. I love being where I am and where I work, but my goals are higher.

Back to the contest- Entrants were asked to submit a 60 second video, and a description of what the video was, why it was a "special moment"

Here's the jist of my description of my "celebrate hockey moment" story.

How does one celebrate hockey? I believe what we celebrate hockey by LIVING in the moment. We celebrate by feeling the thrill of victory when OUR team wins. And what makes victory even better? Simple- when it's SUDDEN VICTORY, and when it's over your biggest rival. The team you love to hate. You love to beat them, you hate to lose to them. My celebrate hockey moment video is of two sudden victory moments "golden goals" for the Alberni Valley Bulldogs over the Nanaimo Clippers, their biggest rivals. Think "Battle of Alberta" and Edmonton and Calgary, but instead this is the "Battle of Vancouver Island" The second game winning goal is for the Bulldogs 18th, yes 18th!!! win in a row. When you watch the video and see, hear, and FEEL the emotion from the fans, the players, and the broadcaster, it's all about CELEBRATING HOCKEY. The broadcaster that you hear is ME. I am truly blessed to be able to live the game and be a part of it. This is me and my moments, CELEBRATING HOCKEY.

Well, wouldn't you know it, I checked the Oilers website today and I MADE THE CUT!!!!! But I'm not happy just getting to the final 24. I'd rather win the whole darn thing. That's where you people come in. I don't imagine that I will get too many votes out of the die hard Oiler fans as my video isn't dripping blue and copper like alot of the other ones. But it is CELEBRATING HOCKEY right?

To any Nanaimo Clipper fans- I'm sure you don't enjoy the video too much. I know I wouldn't if it were the reversal, Clippers beating Dogs. If anything, I hope Clipper fans don't take offense to this but actually take this as a compliment- It says something about your team and your program and what you have accomplished when someone's best moments are when they manage to beat your team.

If you think I'm deserving, if you think the Bulldogs, their fans, or the BCHL are deserving of some recognition, I urge you, no, BEG you, to click on the link below, and then "click here to view recent submissions and vote for your favorite entry" MY VIDEO IS VIDEO #21.

http://www.edmontonoilers.com/contests/hockeymoments/index.php#

It doesn't appear that there is a limit on how many times you can vote, so go crazy! If anything, if I get alot of votes the Oilers and their fans might give me a second look as opposed to the other ones.

VOTE VOTE VOTE VOTE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE.

I have also uploaded the video onto youtube, and have explained the story behind the video, in the hopes that Edmonton fans will see what we are about and how these are great moments.

Here is my video!



Wish me luck, and PLEASE VOTE, and even more importantly SPREAD the word! Inlaws, outlaws, friends, family, enemies, pets, the more the better!

Thanks,
Hammer

9 comments:

Superstar Fan said...

Hi Hammer - I also added your blog address to the BCHL message board as I know a lot of people, even locals do not know of this site. Good Luck to you, you certainly deserve the recognition!

Anonymous said...

Hammer I just voted for you good luck.

Hammer said...

Jamie and Harryz fan-

THANK YOU
THANK YOU
THANK YOU!

And....
Keep voting!

Anonymous said...

I just voted 10 times. I suggest everyone else 1 ups me!

Hammer - of course you are deserving of every piece of recognition you get, you hard working, passionate fan you!

dan "the stats man" said...

Good luck Hammer!! I voted, well lets say a "few" times over the past couple of days.I've also have passed the site along to others who will be voting as well.

Hammer said...

Thanks Andrea and Danno!

You both get the TV if I win!

Hammer

Anonymous said...

getting everyone to vote for you Hammer good luck

Anonymous said...

I voted several times and just went back to vote again, but found this message:
"Fans have sent us their hockey memories and you have voted on the first round of entries. Check back shortly as we will have the finalists with your chance to vote on the winner!"

Hopefully we all voted enough to push you through to the next round.

Anonymous said...

Nanaimo and Vernon in top 10 for Hockeyville 2007