Please visit the links and support my friends and supporters!!!

Please visit the links and support my friends and supporters!!!

Monday, November 19, 2007

I hate early-week games!

OK, OK, I'll be honest, I don't hate ANY game. If it's a day that ends in Y then I am fired up no matter what.

I don't hate the games, it's just the challenge that an early or mid-week game brings that makes me a little crazy.

One of the good things about Junior A hockey is that not too many games happen in the early or middle parts of the week. In Major Junior and Pro you are looking at 70 plus game schedules which makes it necessary to play ALL nights of the week while in Junior A the bulk of games are Friday, Saturday and Sunday.

The challenge is simply the prep time and the turn around time. Tomorrow just doesn't feel like game day. Rest assured that I am READY for it but it was a busy couple of days. Sunday I crammed in the writing of my "Weekly Recap" for the Bulldogs website in between the football games and the Canuck game and getting to bed at a reasonable hour for my morning show today hitting the air at 6am on 93.3 The Peak. After I was off the air at 10am I spent a couple of hours getting ready for the game tomorrow, doing things such as tracking down and securing my second intermission "feature interview" for tomorrow-former Bulldog Josh Bonar. I then threw together all of my statistical information, my line up card, and other things. As the Dogs and Grizzlies haven't met since September I have had to spend a couple of hours today dedicated to memorizing the Grizzlies roster again- one of the things I do before EVERY single game. You can't keep up with the game if you don't know who has the puck, pretty simple.

Aside from the prep for the broadcast tomorrow I also spent more time getting ready for "Bulldogs this Week" live tonight at Alberni Chrysler. I thought it was a great show tonight, as I had Alan Kerr and Kevin Ross from the Bulldogs, along with Nanaimo Clippers play-by-play voice Dan Marshall from our sister station 106.9 The Wolf in Nanaimo.

Be sure to check the Bulldogs Multimedia site HERE to listen to the Alan Kerr and Kevin Ross interviews, up on the site already!

After all the Bulldog Broadcast prep and Bulldogs This Week prep I then spent a couple of hours in meetings with my bosses from our programming and music departments doing more radio station work.

When that was done it was straight home and straight to the rink to grab some comments from Alan Kerr, Marcello Ranallo, and Adam Baldassarre for my "Weekly Preview" article for the Bulldogs website. Then it was back home to get that audio ready, and then I had to WRITE the actual article for submission to the team.

Sometime after I finished that I grabbed some dinerunch or lundinner or lunchupper. What do you call a meal that's not lunch and not dinner/supper? We really need a word for that- we have BUNCH after all...OK, I'm really off the deep end now...

Then it was in the shower and off to Alberni Chrysler to host "Bulldogs This Week"

As soon as the show was over the cell phone rang and it was Ross Raymond on the line, setting me up to be first guest on Dan Marshall's "Off the Ice, the Clipper Hockey Show" on our sister station 106.9 The Wolf FM in Nanaimo.

After that, I did some other work for tomorrow.....and here I am now. Whew!

Just so you all know, I'm not looking for any sympathies, just letting you readers know that if I'm not posting here there is indeed a GOOD REASON, like I'm doing 100 other things!

It's 9:18pm as I write this so it's almost bed time for me with 4:30am staring me in the face with the morning show tomorrow.

And of course tomorrow is GAME DAY!

(even if it doesn't feel like it should be yet)

Hammer

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Hammer,

A word that I commonly use for a meal between lunch and supper is lupper. It's kind of like brunch...the first two letters of lunch are used and the rest are from supper. Just following the same trend of brunch...it seems to fit and it flows nicely.

Hammer said...

I don't know how I missed this comment earlier...LUPPER! It's a whole new world now, thank you!