Please visit the links and support my friends and supporters!!!

Please visit the links and support my friends and supporters!!!

Tuesday, April 08, 2008

Jackson Garrett commits to Bulldogs for 08-09, BCHL Finals Vees up 3-0, 2008 NHL playoff predictions and TV broadcast info

Great news came down from the Bulldogs last night as they announced that Jackson Garrett has committed to play with them next season.

Read the release on the BULLDOGS SITE HERE

The thought of this guy playing with the Dogs excites me, big time. He was very dynamic playing with the Bulldogs as an AP in Powell River for game 60- scoring a beauty goal, and adding a nice assist. He'll be a beauty in my opinion.

I think it says something about the Bulldogs personnel and the quality of their organization right now that they have landed a player like Jackson. I'm by no means in the know, but with his numbers and size, he had to have plenty of teams clamouring for him to sign with them next season.







I caught game 3 of the BCHL finals last night as the Penticton Vees took a 3-0 lead with a 4-3 win over the Clippers at the Frank Crane Arena...Some thoughts-

The only thing more shocking than the Vees taking a 1-0 lead 30 seconds in would have been when they made it 2-0 just over a minute later. WOW. How can you argue that the Clippers weren't ready, or at the very least, no where near as ready as the Vees were?

It's a team game, so I don't like to lay blame. Especially when I'm not close to the situation. Is it coaching? Leadership?

From 200 feet away, the second Penticton goal seemed like a stinky one. Don't blame Michael Garman for the loss though. In my head I had "turning point of the series" noted as he made a HUGE save off a rebound right in front just seconds after Nanaimo had battled back in the first to make it a 2-1 game. I thought that if Nanaimo swung the game around that one play might have been the one.

The second played out much like the first in my opinion- the Clippers not skating especially well, and not bringing much of a physical element. The Vees added two more to lead 4-1 after two.

Big credit to the Clippers for coming out and showing the heart they did in the third to make it a 4-3 game with just under three minutes left. If the Clippers of the third period had been there for the first two periods, I think the game might've been much different.

Credit to Alex Evin for coming up with one big toe save with about two minutes to go to preserve the lead.

The Vees played a solid all-around TEAM game. No one really stood out for them to me, they just appeared to be all on the same page.

An odd play in the second period occurred when Clipper Captain Matt Irwin went down hurt behind the play. I didn't see what happened to him (once the puckwatcher, always the puckwatcher) but it looked like he might've been cheap-shotted to the second most important cup in hockey. If you get my drift. What made it really weird is that the Vees came up ice on a 2 on 0 with Irwin still down. He staggered to his feet to make an effort to break up the 2 on 0. Certainly odd. If I was on the Clipper side of the puck, I would've been screaming for a whistle at that juncture. Knowing the rules, I know it's not supposed to be blown until the Clippers have posession. Which they didn't. Of course discretion allows the official to blow play dead if he believes the player to be in immediate need of medical attention.

What really made me wonder was this: Were the linesmen consulted afterwards? Did anyone see what happened behind the play?

Since linesman can assist the referee in calling double minor and major penalties, what would've happened if the Vees indeed scored on their odd man rush, BUT, one of the linesman indeed spotted a double minor or major infraction on the incident? Does the goal come back and do the Clippers go to the power play? Indeed odd, and I'm sure ANY team in that situation would've felt like they were getting jobbed.

Dan Marshall and Marlow Weldon said it best on the Clippers post-game show on 106.9 THE WOLF last night- You can't win four games tomorrow (today), you can just win ONE and that needs to be the Clipper focus.

I don't agree with the belief that you need to go back to Michael Garman, but opinions are like a$$holes, everyone has one!


OK, NHL playoff predictions....Never before have I had such a tough time looking at the match ups and picking the winners. I'm going with my guts and instincts mostly. And a little with my heart.

Stanley Cup Champ- Montreal Canadiens over Calgary Flames in 6. I picked the Habs as Cup Champs back around Christmas when 93.3 The Peak news man Rob Diotte asked me who the champ was going to be. Oddly enough, I picked the Habs then based on the strength of their goalie tandem of Huet and Price. Now, I'm going just on Price I guess.

Food for thought- The last TWO Cup champs relied big time on the goalie that they didn't think would be their "guy" You could even make that argument about the last four Cup Finalists.

2006- Cam Ward takes over from Martin Gerber in game two of the first round vs. Montreal. He doesn't look back en route to the Conn Smythe. Don't forget that Dwayne Roloson went down for Edmonton in Game 1 of the finals- to be replaced by Ty Conklin and then Jussi Markennen.

Last year, the eventual Cup Champ Anaheim Ducks started the playoffs WITHOUT J.S. Giguere. The Ottawa Senators began the season with Martin Gerber as their #1 "tendy" but Ray Emery ended up taking them to the finals.

So- WHO KNOWS?

My picks:
Habs in 5. I'm not sure the Habs are tough enough to win it all, but the Bruins simply aren't good enough to stay with them. UNLESS Thomas gets red hot, and Carey Price face plants.

Pens in 6. For all of Ottawa's problems, I don't think this will be as easy as some think. The Senators will be loving the chance for a FRESH START, as they have been tail-spinning since November. This one just reeks like an upset to me, but not without Alfredsson, Kelly, and Fisher.
Caps in 7.

No clue. My guts say Rangers in 6
PREDS in 7! My upset of the playoffs. GO TOOTS. Who knows, Wings could just as easily win the Cup.
Flames in 6. Battle of top guys vs top guys I like the Flames better.
I have a tough one with this series. I like Minny's team, and especially their toughness, a playoff must. Backstrom in goal just doesn't do it for me. Theodore is back from the dead and playing better.....Avs in 7. But I also feel like Minny could win it all.
Wow, what a series this one will be. Whoever gets better goaltending in 7. But that isn't a prediction is it? With the way Dallas has played lately, the Ducks could walk over them. I think the Stars will come together to make this a series. Ducks in 6 though.

BROADCAST INFO.

NHL PLAYOFFS ON CBC SKED - CLICK HERE

NHL PLAYOFFS ON TSN SKED- CLICK HERE

___________________________________________________________________
Two more things to mention before I'm finally done for the day-

THIS DAY IN HISTORY-

1987 GREAT ONE NOTCHES SEVEN IN POST SEASON PLAY

Edmonton Alberta - Oiler Wayne Gretzky scores 7 goals in a Stanley Cup game for the third time; passes Jean Beliveau as all-time playoff scoring champion.

(Are you kiddin' me? Wow has the game ever changed! Some TEAMS will be lucky to score seven goals in a SERIES)

PLEASE REMEMBER PEOPLE. TODAY IS A VERY IMPORANT DAY IN OUR COUNTRIES HISTORY.

1917

Vimy France - Arthur William Currie 1875-1933 leads all four divisions of the Canadian Corps. fighting as a unit for the first time, with one British brigade under Lt.-Gen. Julian Byng, to Easter Monday victory at Vimy Ridge. Using 1,000 guns and a masterful artillery barrage technique developed by Currie and his gunners, they take the German stronghold where the French and British had earlier failed; 4,000 Canadians killed, 6,000 wounded. From that day onward, Germany is on the defensive.

No comments: