Please visit the links and support my friends and supporters!!!

Please visit the links and support my friends and supporters!!!

Monday, August 25, 2008

Travis Cross welcome home TONIGHT at 6:30, Dogs host Griz in Exhibition TONIGHT, Fitzgerald Triplets story-Steve Ewen's blog Vancouver Province

Lots of cool stuff today to get you going on a Monday.

First off- I had a message on my voicemail when I walked into work today asking me to announce that there will be a "Welcome Home" for Travis Cross tonight at 6:30 in the Wal-Mart parking lot.

I'll be there, and I hope you'll be there to. Please give Travis the hero welcome that he deserves!

Again I'm not sure any of the details other than what I was given....6:30 tonight in the Wal-Mart Parking lot.

_______________________________
After a short and small training camp, the Alberni Valley Bulldogs open their exhibition season tonight as they host the Victoria Grizzlies at 7pm at The Dog Pound. I'll post a report after the game on what happens. I can't wait to get back to the rink to actually WATCH a game. This and the other two home exhibition games will be my only chances this year to WATCH the Bulldogs play. Of course all 60 regular season games and any subsequent games will be broadcasted.

The Bulldogs camp over the weekend was the smallest I have witnessed in all my years of covering a Junior Hockey Team. Only 30 or so players were out there so competition was fierce. From what I can see, it seems that Bulldogs Head Coach Bryant Perrier has made this less of a training camp, and more of a practice and tune up. I like the thinking....Recruit the kids you want, and then start as soon as possible making the team you want and working on hitting the ground RUNNING. The camp over the weekend even had power play practice. These guys aren't messing around!

With the Bulldogs opening the season at HOME for the first time in franchise history is seems that every step is being taken here to put the roster into the best possible position to start the season on a winning note and get some confidence right off the bat.

You can bet that the Dogs won't be starting 0 and 6 again this year like they did last year - a hole they never really recovered from.

One thing great about having such a small camp- There isn't much room to hide out there if you aren't in shape or if you aren't working hard.

Bryant was running timed skating drills on Saturday afternoon when I was there. And he wasn't shy about letting a couple guys know what he thought from what I saw.

There was more than 1 guy out there that I saw who was most likely thinking to himself "WOW I should've trained harder over the summer!"
____________________________
A big time tip of the hat to Gregg Drinnan, Sports Editor for the Kamloops Daily News.

Gregg has a great blog that I have pumped up here before called TAKING NOTE where he's more often that not talking about Hockey.

Yesterday, he picked up on a cool story coming out of Vancouver Giant's rookie camp from the blog of Steve Ewen, who covers the Giants and the WHL for the Vancouver Province.

The story is about Port Alberni's triple threat of Leo, Myles, and Gerry Fitzgerald and their showing at the G-Men rookie camp.

Hammer


No comments: