Please visit the links and support my friends and supporters!!!

Please visit the links and support my friends and supporters!!!

Sunday, June 20, 2010

Cecere USHL Bound

This one is a little surprising to me, but only for the reason that I was like everyone else in that I expected Cecere to suit up for the University of Nebraska Omaha at the NCAA level for the upcoming season.


Maybe I'm confused, but as far as I can remember Cecere arrived in Bulldog land last summer tabbed for the NCAA for 2010-11. Maybe UNO told him that they wanted him to play another year of Junior?



Whatever the case, you can't blame a kid for taking the opportunity if he's able to make a higher level league like the USHL while also being able to play closer to home.

I've run into some debate on the USHL being a "higher league". Quite simply, I call it a higher league as it's designated as Tier 1, much like the WHL/OHL/QMJHL. It's at the very least the best Junior League in the US, and a competitor of the BCHL. From the USHL's perspective, I would think that their #1 competition is Major Junior, not the BCHL. Several BCHL players have left the league and made a go of it in the USHL, but from my recent memory, more players have given the USHL a go and in the end they ended up back in the BCHL, like Sahir Gill of the Vernon Vipers, for instance.

Here's hoping for Nick's sake it doesn't end up like the Adam Hout situation, as he left the team after the 08-09 season to try the USHL, only to end up back with the Bulldogs around Christmas.



Best of luck to Nick in the future.


Hammer




Nick Cecere leaves for the USHL




PRESS RELEASE
June 20, 2010




FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE





Alberni Valley Bulldogs defenceman Nick Cecere has decided to
leave and play for the Lincoln Stars of the USHL. The Des
Moines, Iowa native played one season for the Bulldogs posting
2 goals and 9 assists for 11 points in 60 games.




"We wish Nick the best in his career and thank him for his hard
work and efforts last season,"said Bulldogs GM/Head Coach
Paul Esdale.




For more information please contact GM/Head Coach Paul
Esdale at 250.723.4412.



Evan Hammond - Morning Show Host 93.3 The Peak FM, Play-by-Play Voice: Alberni Valley Bulldogs Check out my blog www.hammersdogs.blogspot.com Sent wirelessly from my BlackBerry device on the Bell network.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice kid! Sure was hoping that he would stay here for one more year.We could use him man!

kaicee said...

Best of luck always Nick!

Hammer said...

Nick was indeed a great kid...I thought he played better as the playoffs wore on. With Nick not going to UNO next year it tells me that they either don't have him in their plans for next year, or they have removed him from their plans entirely. Whatever the case, best of luck in the future Nick.

Anonymous said...

Big loss for the Bulldogs, best of luck Nick.

Will Mark M. be the next one to pull the pin on the Dogs?

Hammer said...

I don't see it as a loss for the Dogs, as I was prepared for him to be a one-year player, from this time last year when they signed him.


About Mark M - It's Junior Hockey, anything can, and WILL happen...However, he's on the record saying he's coming back to Port Alberni, and he wants to bring a Championship here.

Doesn't sound like pulling the pin to me, but to the perpetually negative people, you never know how that's read.

Tim Kotula said...

UNO must have released him, because he has apparently recommitted to my alma mater, Michigan Tech. He was recruited by UNO's previous coach Mike Kemp, so I guess he just wasn't in Dean Blais' plans.

Is their loss our gain? What can you tell me about this kid?